Sunday, July 18, 2010

Berry, berry good ! Peachy, too :D

This afternoon, in the continuing, unforgiving heat, I picked black berries. This has to be done no matter what the weather, when the berries are ripening. It is a task I enjoy for several reasons.

The bounty of the garden is a pleasure to cook and eat. I eat quite a few of the berries as I pick, yet I get a quart or 2 every day. Then there are the swallows that 'cheep, cheep' from the near-by power lines, as I pick. Flying insects are stirred up as I move the bushes to find the treasured berries. SO everyone is happy and reaps benefits !

I have frozen about 20 qts. of blackberries, so tonight I made a microwave cobbler or 'slump'. (Not sure what a slump is, but that word sounds like what the dessert looks like when done !) To the quart of berries, I added 2 huge, ripe peaches that a friend gave me. With a bit of sugar, some oats, etc., it tasted fabulous. (Let me know if you want the recipe.)

Berry, berry good :D

No comments:

Post a Comment