Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sewing skills - a life of learning.


Last week after sewing a little dress for my granddaughter, I decided to make new drapes for our living room now being remodeled. Found some perfect fabric that actually compliments my sofa. Then the club chair and ottoman looked awful in contrast. So off to find fabric to make a new slipcover for that chair. I love sewing, fabric stores, and the whole process of creating something attractive and useful.

In this process, I realized that I have some truly valuable skills in sewing.
Sewing an outfit with a pattern is quite simple for me. I have been sewing since I was quite young....7th grade, I think, making simple clothes for myself.

Making the slipcover (in process in first photo) is a test of not only design skills but the 'engineering ' of the construction as well. Figuring out which pieces of the item to sew together first so it actually works is fun and frustrating too. I have been known to make mistakes !! Oh, well, just rip out and do over.

Today I made finished the seat cover...quite a pain of a task. Today I am putting on the trim for the bottom of the chair to make it look finished.

But now....off to lunch !

No comments:

Post a Comment