Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Brocolli leaves-waste not, want not.


How many times in my youth did I hear that phrase: "Waste not, want not?" I thought my mother was just too thrifty in those years of plenty. The 1950's were a boom time of economic growth in my family. Dad had a successful propane business and a full-time job. Our family wanted for nothing. There were plenty of clothes, healthy food, and a sturdy home. For that I am grateful.

So when Mom would scrape every bit of food from a can or use all the parts of a vegetable that were safe to eat, it seemed too, too frugal. She saved plastic bags to reuse, and reminded us to turn off the lights when we left a room. Now I realize she was a conserver. I could have respected that more.

So here is my tip for the day on making the most of the food you buy or grow. Why waste it, especially when you paid for the food with hard earned money or hard labor in the garden?

Broccoli leaves and stems are said to have more minerals than the flower head. So wash the leaves and cut them into chunky pieces. Cook as you would broccoli rabe, kale, chard or spinach.

Here is my favorite quick and simple recipe:
Saute the broccoli leaves. Heat olive oil with a bit of onion in a large skillet with lid. Toss in the wet , cut-up broccoli leaves. Stir to wilt and then cover and cook on simmer for about 8-10 minutes until the stems are tender.

As you see in the above photo, my home-grown broccoli has lots of leaves. These will be for dinner tonight. The head will be frozen for use next winter.

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I think you passed a bit of your mother's wisdom on tome, but now I get to feed extra greens to the chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. Eventually you will eat them as eggs.
    Good luck with your chickens.

    ReplyDelete