Friday, June 18, 2010

Epenephrine, or how I got 'wired' at the dentist !


Recently, I had a small filling done on a molar at the my dentist. I got the usual Novocaine shot...well, two for that spot. Nothing seemed different than the gazillion times I had fillings done in my lifetime.....until I went to write the check. My hands were shaking and I felt keyed-up. And that was NOT from having to pay the bill.

I mentioned the shaking to the receptionist and she said that it was from the EPINEPHRINE that is used a a vaso-constrictor in local anesthesia shots. That was a huge surprise to me, since this shaking, and feeling on edge, had never happened in this situation before yesterday.

We were already planning to drive 50 more miles to other shopping destination, and I asked my friend to drive, rather than me driving. I just felt strange.

About an hour later, my left eye-lid got 'lazy.' It worked, but a smidge behind the right eyelid. Next I felt like I was on uppers, or what I think it is like to be on uppers. By the time we got to our destination an hour later, I was still shaky, red as a beet and stayed flushed for 2-3 more hours. Finally, when the numbness in my cheek and lip was gone, the keyed-up feelings went away.

When I got home, I called the dentist to have this reaction put on my record. I don't ever want that type of shot again! From what I read on the net, one can get the Novocaine or similar anesthesia without epinephrine. That will be my choice next time !

No comments:

Post a Comment