Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sew what ?....well, just about anything !

Sewing is my solace, my calming mechanism, my BP reducer, if I need it.
I have been sewing since I was about 11 years old. It was a good time to
bond with my mother. I am grateful for her encouragement and patience with my early efforts.

The dress here is for my 4 year old grand-daughter. It was the first time I have made clothes for a child since my daughters were that age....over 35 years ago. It was an easy project and since I love sewing, a pleasant diversion on these blistering Ozark summer days. I hope she likes it. The flowers remind me of her personality....a bright flower.

Here are several typical things I might sew or in the case of the quilt remnant, repair.

The quilt piece below is from the 1940's I believe. The quilt was quite ragged. Some years ago, I made a pillow cover for each of my mother's grandchildren. That was very connecting for me. The old quilt was found in the drawer of my Mom's dresser when I cleaned out her home after she died. I think my mother's sister, Anna, worked on it mainly.


The seat cover (lower left) was for a friend. He needed covers for well-worn kitchen stools. This was a fun project, since he left the choice of fabric and how to design the seat cover up to me. His only requirement was that it be green ! Easy !


I love picking out new fabric and coming up with a design for the curtain that fits the needs of the project. My next sewing project will be curtains for our recently re-habbed LV. Can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. She loved it! It fits great. I will send a picture. And I have fond memories of sewing with you, too. Thanks for sharing such a great skill with me!

    ReplyDelete