Thursday, June 3, 2010

Gardening on the cusp of the South


Okay, my favorite thing to do around our home is pulling hay out of the bales to mulch the garden. (See photo) For this I use a garden rake and 'comb' the hay into bunches for the cart. (WATCH for snakes. They love looking for mice in the bales.!)

The second fave thing I do is using the pick-ax to dig holes when needed. Both tasks don't take much skill but lots of energy. The feeling of working all my muscles and accomplishing a needed job are the rewards.

The mulch is used for the paths around my 'dedicated beds' (I don't call them raised beds since they are not much higher than the surrounding paths.) The veggie beds are never walked on. In the 10 years I have been gardening this spot, I have added only rotted manure and hay. The bales of hay for mulch come from neighbors too. I always ask for 'sour' or old hay that are no good for the cattle. When the garden is producing, I give the neighbors fresh veggies that they like in trade.

The manure I use (very left in photo) came from a neighbor with horses. Sadly, she left the area. Now I have a very kind neighbor who will go the the nearby cattle sale barn and for gas money, will bring me a big load.

Right now it is harvest time here. Spring spinach is done. Broccoli and red beets are the current works in progress. The black raspberries are beginning to ripen....red beets to pick, so back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment